Monday, April 8, 2013

Peas, Cover, Table, Spinach, Doll, Compost & Book


This is my harvest of spinach and just a little lettuce that doesn't count!  The spinach I planted last fall is finally large enough to pick for salads.  This weighed a whopping 32 oz!!!!!!  The lettuce just doesn't seem to grow.


I planted some shelling peas here!  They are a lot of work for what you harvest but they taste so good!


My "wonderful gardener" made me three new boxes and covers like this one to go on them to keep Coco, birds and bugs out!  Strawberries will most likely come this week and be put in one. Cabbage and green beans in the other two.  Looking at the green beans through these covers will drive Coco crazy as she loves green beans!


 We brought home four of these tubs today in our NEW car with free compost and mulch in them.  Not exactly the thing "wonderful gardener" wants to do with his new car but what's a gardener's husband to do when they have no truck!!!!!


My gardening book from the library this time was "Caring For Perennials" by Janet Macunovich.  She has another one I want to request, "Designing Your Gardens".


We belong to a Growth Group from our church which is like a Bible Study and take turns meeting in each other's homes.  After study and prayer we always eat!!!!!  This past week was our turn to host it and this is my table setting for us to sit around.  We can set 10 at our table and squeeze in 11 or 12 if need be.  There are 11 in our group when they all can attend.


I wanted to share my doll that my youngest son bought me years ago.  The beautiful vase was a gift from Bob's Aunt.  Thanks for visiting.  I enjoy having you!


22 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, the things we do for our gardens! We harvested our first batch of spinach the other day, and it looks similar to your kind.... and it was the BEST spinach we've ever tasted. Your home looks lovely and very welcoming for your Group's visit. Is that a heirloom doily on your table? It's beautiful.

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Lisa, Thanks. Did you plant your spinach last fall too? I planted that in the cold fram. No it is not an hairloom doily. I bought it years ago and it is plastic!! I thought it very pretty tho for plastic and it is soft. Glad you could visit! Come again! Nancy

The Polka Dot Closet said...

good for you, home grown veges taste sooo good, such a difference from store bought! did you get the new car vacuumed out yet lol!

Carol

Anonymous said...

Your spinach harvest looks wonderful. So fresh and green! Your shelling peas will taste great. I always forget to plant peas in the spring. One year I might remember! Nice looking load of compost and mulch! that will get rid of that new car smell in a hurry!

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

The only thing I've been able to do in our gardens so far, is clean up. I cut back the perennials and picked up garbage in the courtyard on Sunday. It's been cold and rainy since. But lots of bulbs popping up, and my pansies are coming back to life!

Daphne Gould said...

Wonderful spinach. I keep looking at my overwintered spinach. I'll be picking it soon, but not a huge amount.

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi Nancy! I need to plant spinach in the shadier spot of my garden! I love the boxes and covers! What a great idea to keep pests out! That's funny, Coco loves green beans! They're good for her.
I wished we had a place to get free compost and much! What a blessing! And a blessing to have a new car!
The table scape looks lovely! How wonderful that you have those meetings in your home!
The doll and vase are beautiful! Have a nice week! Blessings from Bama!

Audrey said...

Hi Nancy ... just thinging today that I bet my garden is full of weeds. Have not had time to check on it. Thanks for your inspiration ... maybe next will I will get out in the garden.
Blessings,
Audrey Z. @ Timeless Treasrures

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Polka Dot Closet, I am sure the car will get dirty and cleaned more than once! Homegrown does usually taste best, doesn't it! Thanks for stopping by! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi emilysincerely, Oh, be sure to plant peas. I did both shelling peas and sugar peas. They both are so good fresh. Poor hubby with what I want him to do with the new car! Thanks for stopping by! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Debbie, It won't be long and we will both be working feverishly in our gardens! Seems like it is taking forever this year. My daffadils are sure looking droopy! Thanks for visiting! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Daphne, Thanks! I need to get more spinach planted. The little I have won't last long! Thanks for stopping by! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Thanks Bama Girl, Thanks. Yes, I think the boxes will be great. Something (besides Coco) ate my cabbage leaves and ate my beans last year. Thanks for visiting! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Audrey, I have lots of weeds too so never lack of things to do even tho my garden is small! Hope you will be able to enjoy yours too. Thanks for visiting!! Nancy

Heirloom treasures said...

LOvely pics today. :)

Vicki said...

Oh,my! I love the raised bed with the screen! The birds won't pick your strawberries now. :) I bought some spinach plants the other day. I hope it grows. I also got some lettuce plants and planted lettuce seeds. I just saw that my lettuce seeds have sprouted. I am so excited!

Your table setting looked beautiful! Your doll and vase are so nice! Quentin loves colored glass. :)

Have a great day.

:)Vicki

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Vicki, I have never bought spinach plants. I always buy the seed. I need to plant some more! I think I will really like the square foot box covers. Can't wait to use them! Thanks for visiting!!! Nancy

my simple life said...

hello,
i love the raised bed,great idea!!! my strawberries will I plant in hanging basket.Fresh spinat from the garden are so wonderful.A wonderful blog have you!!!!
Wish you a lovely day,
regina

Megan said...

Nice spinach! Overwintered spinach is so sweet! A nice way to say goodbye to Winter too!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Megan, Thanks. I don't think winter wants to leave us! We got a little bit of teeny tiny hail this morning. It is not sticking tho so still hoping for nicer days! Thanks for visiting!! Nancy

Bernideen said...

Looks like a wonderful garden!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Thanks Bernideen, If the weather would co-operate maybe it will be! Thanks for visiting! Nancy

Progress in the Courtyard!

  It was so nice to look out my bedroom window this morning and see the Clematis blooming instead of a pile of snow.  It is a rainy day agai...