Tuesday, July 11, 2017

Success and Failures


My first year in my courtyard garden has resulted in some success and some failures!!  I am having a hard time trying to grow green beans this year.  The leaves get all tan and then fall off.  Is it a bug or too much nitrogen????  I have put Neem on two or three times.  Should I continue to do so???  Some later ones I planted have stunted growth also.  I have harvested a few from these plants.



Even my Roma tomato plant has some leaves like that although it has lots of tomatoes on it.



Soon my pole bean will be able to compete with Jack and the Beanstalk story!  Even it does have some of those affected leaves.



My raspberries have not done well either.  Just have a few on them.  Woe is me!



My yard long beans have some bad leaves also but are producing some beans.  There is one out there now that is even longer than the 15 inch one.  I don't know much about saving seeds but would like to save some from this plant.  I only have one plant.  Can I leave one on to save the seeds and keep picking the rest of them????



I am cutting up chives and drying them.  My chive plants are in a pot.  I wonder if they will overwinter in a pot?  I have always had them in the ground before but my problem furchild, Coco might eat them so I keep them up high in a pot.



One success is my Sungold tomato on the front porch!  Yum! It has produced well.



So far one small zucchini and one larger one.



I did not plant many beets this year.  I don't have room to grow everything I would like. (I hate to admit it but I don't have the energy either!)



Lots of pretty blossoms on these cucumbers!



Looks like I will get quite a few green peppers off from this one plant!



I guess I bought the wrong lily.  Had one bloom and that is it.  



The one on the left I had at my other house and it bloomed and bloomed.  I thought since they both had the word Hemerocallis on the tag that this one would too.  Woe is me!!



My basil did well so made up another batch of pesto and froze.



It brightens my day to look out in the morning and see this beautiful pink geranium.  See you next time!  I hope you enjoyed your visit!!








14 comments:

Granny Marigold said...

Sorry your plants are getting tan spotted leaves. I have no idea what might be the problem. My raised garden bed has been a bit of a disappointment for me. Only the onions did well. Even the row of Marigolds didn't do as well as those that were planted right in the ground. Same soil so that wasn't the problem. There are times when trying to grow veggies is a disappointment. Maybe we should stick to flowers!!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Granny Marigold, it is discouraging at times but I guess I am a die hard and keep trying. Sometimes I win and sometimes I lose! I do love flowers too though! Nancy

Gloria said...

Maybe there was something with the potting soil? I'm not a particularly knowledgeable gardener and just put things in the ground or in pots and just hope for the best. Raspberries in a pot have done very well for me this year. Sunflowers..not so great. Green Beans, I'm still waiting to see how it goes.

Betsy said...

I enjoyed seeinglal of your plants, but sorry I that they aren't all doing well. I have had the same issue with my green beans for the past three years so I didn't even plant any this year! A friend called tonight and begged me to come pick raspberries because they have so many. I plan to do that Thursday morning while it's still cool outside. Your garden looks liked it's keeping you very busy! Oh, I got the email for the sloppy joe mix, but it said there was no content and there was no recipe. Thanks anyway for trying! :)-
Blessings,
Betsy

Cheryl Kimbley said...

It seems a lot of things are having trouble growing this year. It has been such a weird and wet season.
It does look like you are getting some produce, so that is fantastic! I still haven't had a ripe tomato.
Not sure what to tell you about the beans.
Good luck!

Rain said...

Hi Nancy :) I hope you get the answers you are looking for! My beans and cucumbers are still at the leaf stage, they really stalled because of the cool wet weather. My peppers never happened this year. (YET?)...as for the chives, it was the only plant that survived on my sunny window all winter long. Last summer I had a bunch of herbs and they all died except the chives. The window is sunny, but the temperatures of -30C made the area very cold at night. I think you should give it a go! Your yellow tomatoes are great, and look at that beanstalk! Watch out for giants! LOL

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Gloriade, I hope your beans do better than mine for you this year! I think I will try a couple raspberry plants in pots next year along with the few in the ground! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Betsy, I can't give up on growing green beans as need to freeze them for Coco to eat in the winter! LOL Hope you got lots of raspberries! How nice of your friend! Glad you got the second e-mail with the sloppy joe mix recipe! Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Cheryl Kimbley I was hoping to grow green beans to freeze up for Coco for this winter! Just planted a few more so will see what happens. I am getting a few. I think maybe the Roma tomatoes will be ripe in August?? Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Rain, Thanks for the information about your experience with the chives. I am thinking maybe I will put the pot in the protective covered bed for this winter. It is not a cold frame but does give some protection. I amy bring a small pot in the house to try also. Nancy

Debbie - Mountain Mama said...

My chives come back in pots on my deck, and I'm in zone 5A. I have had no luck with eggplants or peppers in my garden for some reason! You can leave one bean on the plant to dry for the seeds, sure!

Henny Penny said...

Wish I knew what to say about the brown spots on the bean leaves. Every year seems like there is some sort of problem in the garden. Ours started out awful. I pulled up two tomato plants and threw them away. Everything looked diseased, including the beans. I think you have grown some pretty vegetables, especially considering the big move and all the new boxes. Your cucumber, peppers and yard long beans are beautiful. I forgot to buy yard long beans to plant this year. It's fun seeing what you grow.

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Debbie - Mountain Mama, I am glad to hear you kept your chives in the house over winter and that they did okay. I think I am in zone 5 B. I hope I will be successful in saving the yard long bean seeds. Nancy

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Henny Penny, Thanks! I think maybe my beans are a little better now. I just planted a few more so will see how they do. Hoping I can save a little yard long bean seed as only have two bean seeds left and they are old. Nancy

Progress in the Courtyard!

  It was so nice to look out my bedroom window this morning and see the Clematis blooming instead of a pile of snow.  It is a rainy day agai...