Friday, March 30, 2012

Rain Barrel


This is the way the instructions said to set the rain barrel up.  In a heavy rain the water bounces off the top.  When it is full the 3/4 inch drain was
 not large enough to get rid of the excess water.


So Bob (my handy gardener) cut a hole for a larger drain.  Then he put the gutter into the rain barrel.  Now it works great!


Here is a close-up view.  Does anyone know if it is safe to use the rain off the roof on the vegetables?  I do use it on the flowers and bushes.  Our shingle roof is nine years old. 

4 comments:

Sincerely, Emily said...

Nancy, that looks great. Ya, there is no way that tiny little hose couldn't have kept up with overflow - it was just way to small. We have several larger tanks set up to collect rainwater. I love them and really need to add many more. Have fun with your rainwater!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Maybe if this one works well for me this year I need to think about another one! I will have to check your blog to see if you have pictures of your set up. Thanks for commenting. Nancy

Linda said...

Great idea with the rain barrel. I use all sorts of gray water and rain water on my plants and veggies.
I found my way here from Linky Dinks.
Remembe'ring' where

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Crafty Gardener! Thanks for commenting. I used my rain water on the veggies yesterday too as from the info I received most people do. I just wondered if the chemicals from the roof was a problem but guess it isn't. I hear ya on the Lily of the Valley spreading. But they smell so good! We don't have any here but had some at our previous house in Michigan. Come again! Nancy

Progress in the Courtyard!

  It was so nice to look out my bedroom window this morning and see the Clematis blooming instead of a pile of snow.  It is a rainy day agai...