Saturday, April 28, 2012

Blueberry Bush, Seed Potatoes, Cabbage plants, Seeds & Book


No, it is not Christmas!  I have two little blueberry bushes.  I have not had luck with growing blueberrys.  There are blossoms and berries on them now and I don't want to share with the birds!  I had some red netting for one and need to get more netting for the other one.  I read that red stones placed among your strawberries will help keep the birds away so why not use red netting to keep the birds away from the blueberry bushes!


I thought I would try growing a few potatoes so bought a few today to plant.  I think they look pretty sad! These are North Dakota Certified, Russet Burbank, resistance to common scab disease and bakes and mashes well.  Takes 80 plus days to grow them. I have no idea what I am doing!


I also bought four cabbages.  Another experiment.  I am hoping to grow four of them in one of my new half barrels with a geranium in the middle.  I read that geraniums help repel white cabbage butterflies.  The half barrel is about 22 1/2 inches across in diameter and about 16 1/4 inches deep.  Do you think they will all fit? They are Stonehead and mature in 50-70 days.



I want to grow more greens for salads!  Thought I would try these two types, Prizehead lettuce and Pak Choi.  I need a larger garden!!!!!!!



And last but not least I got another book from the library to read when it is too cold raining, dark or I am too tired for more gardening!!!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I grow lowbush and dwarf blueberries in containers. Its easier to keep the soil acidic, though maybe that's not a problem where you are. Looks like I'll have a fair number for the first time this year, but I'm going to let the birds have them.

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi gardeninacity, I don't think we have acidic soil plus I need to keep the blueberrys watered! I have put coffee grounds and I think it was cottonseed meal around them. They both have berries on them this year and I am hoping to be more successful this year. You sure have a lot of flowers to take care of. I was thinking about Beardlip Penstemon because they are suppose to attract butterflies. Do you know anything about them? Thanks for visiting me! Nancy

Lisa said...

Good luck with your blueberries! We love blueberries and go through a lot of blueberries with our oatmeal breakfasts each day. At the grocery this past weekend both of us noticed how expensive they've become! We have lots of wild blueberries here and every, single year I try to time it just right to harvest before the birds and deer.... to no avail. I think all we've gotten was one handful. But, this year's a new year, a new chance! It'll be interesting to see if the 'red' works.....your logic makes sense to me!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Thanks Lisa. I need all the luck I can get on growing anything! Except weeds. I excel in that! I will be posting on whether the red works or not. Come again. Nancy

Progress in the Courtyard!

  It was so nice to look out my bedroom window this morning and see the Clematis blooming instead of a pile of snow.  It is a rainy day agai...