Saturday, April 14, 2012

Help! Sweet Potato, Flowers, Cilantro, Rain Gauge & Bread


I want to grow a sweet potato for eating.  I put it in the water like this.  It has those white strands coming out of it in the water.  I thought it was suppose to get greenery coming out of the top!  HELP!  Anyone!  What do I do now.  Did I do something wrong???????


Here is another picture of it!


I finished transplanting plants into the expanded flower bed today.  When I get some more mulch on the transplanted part it should be easy care this summer!



I planted Cilantro in this little pot yesterday.  How do you use the Cilantro that you grow?


It rained last night.  I didn't have my rain gauge out yet but put it out today.  We are suppose to get more rain this week-end.  Hoping my rain barrel gets filled!


I baked two loaves of bread and made cookies yesterday.  I forgot to take a picture so got this loaf out of the freezer and took the picture today!  lol



6 comments:

Felecia Cofield said...

Hi! Thanks for visiting and commenting on my blog! I think you just need to give the sweet potato more time. I've never grown a sweet potato, but I have some slips ordered this year. Thing is, they won't be here until late June or July since I requested the special price. I don't know if that will give them enough time to grow and produce here, but I'm giving it a shot! Your gardens look so pretty! I use cilantro in Mexican cooking. It's delicious used in black bean soup, too. Hope your garden produces abundantly for ya'll this year! Blessings from Bama!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Bama Girl, Thanks for your help! I guess I just have to be patient! A friend sent me a DIY sight on growing sweet potatoes which is helpful too. I wonder if we are too far north to grow them but we get hot weather into the 90's in the summer. At least it is fun experimenting. If my beets do not grow well this year I will not try again! My peas and turnips look good tho. Come again. I welcome any advice! Nancy at Cozy Thyme Cottage

Gramz said...

The sweet potato will grow roots before it gets a vine. Be patient.

I fell in love with cilantro on a visit to Costa Rica. I love it in my taco fixings and in fresh salsa. I also use it in a salsa recipe that calls for a can of corn, a can of black beans (rinsed), a can of Ro-Tel, and chopped cilantro; serve with tortilla chips. Yum!

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Gramz, Patience does not seem to be my virtue! I need to work on it. Thanks for the info on how you use your cilantro. It has not sprouted yet. Patience! lol Nancy

Anonymous said...

Hi, why are you growing your sweet potato in a glass? I thought they were supposed to go in the ground like ordinary potatoes. I know they grow roots first then the leaves will come, keep it in a warm place.

Cozy Thyme Cottage said...

Hi Liz, I am growing a sweet potato in a glass because that is what the instructions said to do! lol I thought it would get greenery and slips and then I could plant those! So far have some of those little long roots in the water but I don't see any sprouts or greenery yet! I think you can buy the plants but thought I would try one this way. Have never grown sweet potatoes before! Thanks for visiting! Come again! Nancy

Progress in the Courtyard!

  It was so nice to look out my bedroom window this morning and see the Clematis blooming instead of a pile of snow.  It is a rainy day agai...